Rethymno is an ideal destination not only for those who seek relaxation, the opportunity to bathe in the cleanest of sea waters and enjoy a holiday within an ultramodern infrastructure, but also for those who thirst for action, adventure and exploration, and above all seek contact with nature and the environment. If you are not a visitor of the conventional kind, you will find that Rethymno offers a number of alternative suggestions for unforgettable holidays, not only for the summer. Rethymno is also the perfect fall escape. Discover inland secrets and the wide variety of flora and fauna, visit the gorges, mountainous villages, follow hiking trails, etc. In this small area you may find:
- 1624 native wild plants with 170 endemic plant and 1000 animal species
- 12 walking trails (E4)
- 4 Natura2000 – 88000 acres areas
- 10 of the most famous caves of Crete including Ideon Andron (the birth cave of Zeus)
- 8km cycling path in the historic center and 1059km covering 22 cycling paths in the broader area
- 11 small and large, impressive gorges
- 65km sandy beach, where 12km begin from the historic center of the city
- 150 nests of endangered sea turtle Caretta-Caretta, which lays its eggs every year on the awarded with 10 Blue Flags beaches of the Municipality of Rethymno.
Trekkers and bicyclers may take advantage of the marked paths and local roads to feel the freedom of the countryside, to get familiar with its sounds, full of whispers of the ancients. Horseback riding lessons and rides in the olive fields and the beaches of the region are made under the supervision of experienced teachers. Get the chance to meet the wild scenery of Rethymno by crossing the grandiose gorges of the region. Nature with colorful flowers and all kinds of aromas will welcome the whole family in their walks. Furthermore,duly equipped climbing rocks and walls are offered to the lovers of chills. Enjoy all kinds of water sports and games for the kids, or take advantage of the summer Melteme (northerly wind) for windsurfing and sailing. You may seek also for the local diving centers to discover the rare beauty of the seabed.