The world market of tourists continues to grow and Europe has unique selling points for further tourist growth from within and outside the EU (including China). The competitive market for tourism means that cities have to provide the high quality, sustainable environments desired by tourists while providing local sustainable employment opportunities that overcome the seasonal and sometimes informal nature of tourist economies. Achieving sustainable mobility is a vital part of the growth equation for Europe’s tourist cities.
DESTINATIONS will develop an innovative holistic approach to building sustainable urban mobility systems for both locals and visitors. The project impacts will make a positive contribution to demonstrating how this can achieve growth and therefore provide a benchmark for other EU tourist cities.
DESTINATIONS will demonstrate and evaluate the effectiveness of innovative sustainable mobility solutions in 6 tourist cities with different characteristics but sharing common challenges. The solutions will address:
• Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning for residents and visitors
• Safe, attractive and accessible public spaces for all generations
• Shared mobility and e-infrastructures towards zero emissions transport
• Smart & clean urban freight logistics at tourist destinations
• Mobility management & awareness for sustainable mobility
• Attractive, clean, accessible and efficient public transport