Located in the heart of the old historic town, under the Venetian fortress, it is housed in a Venetian building that operated (in the early 20th century until the 70s) as a soap factory and is now a modern museum around covering about 1000 sq.m.
In its central space (st. Himaras 5) the museum presents part from the work of its Permanent Collection while in some of its art spaces or in alternative spaces where it uses; it hosts periodical exhibitions of Pan-Hellenic and international content. At the same time, it realizes lectures, training programs and collaborations with institutions corresponding in Greece and abroad.
It has a permanent collection of approximately 500 works of contemporary Greek artists, which covers a wide range of the contemporary Greek art world from 1950 to date. The collection includes adequate samples of art of the second half of the 20th century, from abstraction and geometry to neo-expressionism, new representation arts, minimalism, object in space, sculpture and combined sculpture and painting, installations in space and settings, conceptual art, photography, computer-processed works of art.
The Museum has developed significant activities in the field of periodic exhibitions at local, national and international levels in co-operation with numerous institutions at home and abroad. At the same time, throughout the duration of exhibitions, there are organized tours for children, young people, and adults on a daily basis.